How to detoxify your body
How to detoxify your body naturally?
If we look back at hundreds or even thousands of years ago, our ancestors were also fasting and detoxifying their bodies from toxins, so cleansing a body is not something new. Having said that, nowadays our stories may be different and with all the pollutants, viruses, chemicals surrounding us and processed foods, it becomes necessary to think “detox” in order to keep a healthy body and a clear mind. There are many ways to cleanse our body and mind on a regular basis, and here are some suggestions:
Fasting & Diets
Our liver filters toxins from our blood and a compromised digestive system will not be able to filter toxins effectively, thus intermittent or long-term fasting can be beneficial at times so the organs, including kidneys, lungs and intestines have time to process the food and drinks and cleanse the toxins from the blood. As you know, there are many fasting and diet programs available out there. As far as fasting is concerned, the easiest one is to fast from 8pm up to noon the next day or one full day some time to time.
While following a food detox program, you may also want to consider detoxifying your mind for a better result. Energy healing, exercising, massages, yoga and meditations are perfect tools for clearing your mind. Remember “Happy Mind, Happy Body”.
Exercises, Yoga, Meditation, Massages & Energy Healing
- Yoga has so many benefits that I would highly recommend to practice it regularly for detoxification on a spiritual, physical and emotional level. It relieves stress and pain. Many Yoga postures enhance the blood circulation, stimulate the lymphatic system and help the liver work optimally to cleanse the organism.
- Exercising or walking everyday will help flushing the toxins and can make you feel better, improve your mood and blood circulation. We all know that exercises help build muscles and reduce inflammation and fat, which is essential when detoxifying the body, as toxins tend to hide in the fat…
- Meditation & Energy Healing are so amazing for detox. I highly recommend guided meditations and energy healing sessions to rejuvenate your body, your mind and your spirit. They can help change your mindset and get rid of negative thoughts, self-talk and limiting beliefs.
- Massages are amazing for detoxifying the body and relaxing too. They help stimulate the lymphatic and circulatory systems for a better detox.
If you practice yoga, meditation and exercise outdoors and spend some time in the Nature, it is even better. Spending at least half an hour to one hour in the Nature every day is one of the best healthy gifts that you can offer to your mind, body and spirit.
Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom Salt baths are known for their detoxifying qualities and can be used by everybody, kids, adults taking medications, pregnant women. If you do not have a bath tub, a foot bath will work too! I often recommend to take a bath with Epsom Salt for detox and other health challenges. This ancient natural healing remedy, rich in magnesium, is really amazing and beneficial for muscle soreness and pain, headaches, anxiety, insomnia and for detoxifying the body and the mind.
- Lemon. One of the most common tips that you may hear about when we talk about “detox”, is to drink a lot of hot or cold water with freshly squeezed lemon first thing in the morning. Lemon is an antioxidant rich in vitamin C and has many good properties when cleansing your body.
- Teas are ideal for detox, including green tea if you like it. My favorite homemade drink is to mix honey, fresh lemon, turmeric and ginger together with hot water. Occasionally I would use apple cider vinegar instead of turmeric or lemon. This recipe helps get rid of toxins on a daily basis if you have it once a day.
- Green French clay powder or mud & bentonite clay. I love using clay, either the powder in the bath or the mud on my face and body. This mineral is like a miracle. It helps ease muscle soreness or pain and get rid of heavy metals. This is definitely one remedy to have on your shelf, as it heals so many symptoms and issues. I remember using it when I was pregnant to relieve the stomach pain and it was working each time. Feel free to contact me for more details on how to use it.
- Activated Charcoal is known to treat poisoning, intestinal gas, reduce constipation and flush the system. It is also awesome to cleanse your body from mold or if you had too much to drink and have a headache..
- Spirulina, Chlorella, Chlorophyll. Spirulina is an algae that is extremely high in many nutrients. It is so high that it even flushes toxins out of your body including heavy metals. Those 3 algae are brilliant to get rid of toxins in your body, and there are many easy ways to add them to your life: pills, mud on your body and face, powder in your smoothies, drops under your tongue or in your drink or in your bath. Of course the quality of all natural remedies is important, and preferably go for organic and pure ones, otherwise it may not be effective. Check carefully the source of any supplements or even food that you take.
- Glutathione is an antioxidant and sometimes referred as the “mother of all antioxidants” by some health practitioners. It helps fight free radicals and keep the body in balance. When the body contains many more free radicals than antioxidants, it can start feeling being under attack and some diseases may appear such as Heart Disease, Parkinson’s disease, Cataracts, Glaucoma, Alzeihmer’s disease, Diabetes and many other diseases. Glutathione is naturally “created” in the liver after ingestion of the appropriate amino acids and sulfur-containing foods. But again if people don’t maintain healthy habits, the glutathione, which is essential for the immune system as well as for building and repairing cells and tissues, may be in deficiency and cell damages begin.
- Zeolite has become one of my favorites supplements for the last 2 years now to fight against radiation, viruses and bacteria. It can also help reenergize and boost the immune system when feeling tired. Zeolite is considered like the “master detoxifier” by some health practitioners and it has been used for decades to flush toxins, including heavy metals. I only recommend taking Zeolite for a short period of time, not on a daily basis.
Herbs that can support your detox:
- Dandelion Root is one of my favorite herbs as it treats so many issues and it is also a very pleasant herb to use. I can feel and see the benefits of it quite quickly. Native Americans used Dandelion mainly to treat skin issues, kidney disease, heartburn and stomach upset. And traditional Chinese medicine used Dandelion mainly to treat breast issues and stomach upset. In our modern world, dandelion root is recommended for liver’s detox, diabetes, skin issues and women’s health.
- Burdock Root is great to purify the blood and improve blood circulation. As a blood purifier, it cleanses the liver and lymphatic system. Great herb to use in combination with dandelion for skin issues. This herb has also been recognized as a cancer-fighter in the herbal world like it’s Native American anticancer formula Essiac. Please note that if you have allergies to daisies, chrysanthemums or ragweed, be cautious of using burdock, as it’s possible you’ll be sensitive to this herb as well.
- Milk Thistle, as mentioned in a previous article is The must-have Herb for Liver Detox. I like mixing milk thistle, dandelion and burdock root for a better result, but this is a personal choice.
- Nettle Leaf is widely known and recommended by a lot of herbalists for detox purposes. It is an impressive detox herb that contributes to the urinary tract cleansing. Since Nettle also has histamine properties, this medicinal herb is also used for allergies, sneezing, runny nose and much more.
- Red Clover is another excellent blood purifier and helps stimulate the bile production. It is also used to remove chemical toxins and heavy metals from the body.
- Turmeric is a great Indian spice to add up to your food and it is known as an anti-inflammatory and great to fight heart disease, alzeihmer’s disease, arthritis. Please note that some recent researches have shown that turmeric may occasionally, but very rarely, trigger some liver problems, so be cautious and stop taking it if you start having liver issues or already have some.
There are many other medicinal herbs that can help you detox your body, your liver or lungs such as Mullein. If you are interested in lung detox, please click here.
Please ask your healthcare provider before taking anything if you have health issues, take medications or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Some medicinal herbs or supplements may suppress or decrease the effectiveness of some medications.
Thank you for reading me.
Sending Love & Healing Your Way..