Healthy Lungs & Respiratory Health
How to keep Healthy Lungs?
As we know, exercising regularly, taking some fresh (clean) air, improving the indoor air quality and avoiding smoking are a few habits that people need to strongly consider to keep healthy lungs. Unfortunately those good habits may not be enough anymore as lungs seem to be under attack more often than we think nowadays with the pollution, viruses, bacteria, smoke from wildfires.. and yet there are a vital organ that we need to pay attention too, since they allow us to breathe! Luckily, the nature offers us everything we need and some powerful herbs can help protect and prevent lung damage. I also suggest some regular energy healing and meditations to improve the lung capacity and breathing.
Which herbs can help support our respiratory system?
- Mullein has been used for thousands of years to treat respiratory conditions. I like recommending it for bronchitis, pneumonia, whooping coughs, cold, sore throat, fever, tonsillitis, allergies and asthma.
- Lungwort, as per its name, is great to treat respiratory conditions, asthma, cough and tuberculosis. It clears congestion and can help with other health issues too.
- Red Clover is another medicinal herb that can be used to treat respiratory issues such as asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough. It is also very beneficial for skin issues, menopausal and menstrual symptoms.
- Astragalus is an adaptogen that strengthens the immune system. It is used for many conditions including upper respiratory infections, chronic fatigue syndrome, kidney disease and much more.
- Eucalyptus leaves contain antioxidants and reduce inflammation. Eucalyptus can relieve the congestion and breaks up the mucus in the lungs. You can mix it with tea tree oil, use 2/3 droplets in boiling water and inhale it 3 times a day to cleanse your lungs.
- Peppermint is one of my favorite herbs. Not only I love the smell, but each time I use it, it uplifts my spirit, clears my mind and reenergizes my body. Peppermint is also great to treat respiratory conditions, cold, flu, coughs and clear congestion. There are many ways to integrate peppermint in your daily life. You can simply drink peppermint tea, diffuse peppermint essential oil in your home, use chest balms, or inhale peppermint oil or leaves with hot water. Peppermint has other benefits that we will discuss in other articles, which are related to anxiety for example.
The list of herbs to treat respiratory conditions and keep healthy lungs is exhaustive. I could add Lobelia, Osha Root, Oregano oil, Plantain Leaf, Thyme.. to the recommendations above as well.
If you wish to discuss more or schedule a session, feel free to connect today.
Please ask your healthcare provider before taking anything, if you have health issues, take medications or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.